George K. Musselman founded the company in the early 1890’s. Musselman was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania in 1856. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1883 and then moved to Kansas City to begin working for the Kansas City Electric Railway Company as an engineer. In the early 1900’s John Nicholas Hall joined Musselman after moving to Kansas City from his home in Sedalia, Missouri. In 1914 the two formed a partnership and named the company Musselman & Hall Contractors.
John N. Hall transferred his ownership to his younger brother Harry F. Hall and Hall and Musselman managed the company until the late 1930’s when Harry L. Hall, a recent Civil Engineering graduate from the University of Kansas, and Edward H. Hall, son of John N. Hall joined the firm.
M&H thrived during the World War II years working at various defense installations including the Pratt and Whitney plant in Kansas City, Kansas and the Lake City Army Ammunitions plant east of Independence, Missouri. As World War II ended the company helped deal with the return of millions of veterans and continued branching out into street work and into all kinds of industrial and governmental concrete, asphalt and railroad work.
Years later, George Musselman walked himself to the old St. Joseph hospital in Kansas City, Missouri where he died of “Dementia” in 1945. Harry F. Hall retired from the company in 1966 at the age of 78 passing his ownership in 1965 to Harry F. and Edward H. Hall. Doug Hall, son of Harry L. Hall, graduated from the University of Kansas in 1965 and joined the firm full time after working there during his summer vacations since 1957. Edward H. Hall died in 1969.
Doug Hall rejoined the company in 1971 after serving four years in the United States Air Force during the Vietnam conflict. Harry L. Hall died in 1978 and left the firm to son Doug and his widow Florence Hall. Florence Hall worked in the company office until 1986 when she passed away. This left the company in the hands of one owner, Doug Hall, for the first time in 72 years.
Doug owned and managed the company with his wife Judy, an accounting graduate from Washburn University in Topeka, until 1994 when he began passing shares of the ownership to two long time employees Mike Morris and George (Howie) Snyder, Jr. Both men are second generation employees and both began working at Musselman & Hall at age 15.
Dexter Phillips joined the company in the summer of 1996 while he was attending the University of Kansas. In 1997, after receiving his bachelor’s degree in business, Dexter joined the company full time. He began acquiring ownership in 2008 and Howie Snyder left the company in 2010. Today the company is owned by Hall, Phillips, and Morris. Musselman & Hall employs more than 275 employees during the busy construction season.